Look My Food's On TV!

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Apple Turnovers



These turnovers are so easy to make.  They are so yummy.  I am not a huge fan of apple but these are very good and I have made these turnovers in cherry.  I picked this recipe to make for my Simple, Easy, Cooking Class at the library.  They were a big hit.  The recipe calls to make them them big but I have cut them down and made the turnovers smaller.

Apple Turnovers
from Taste of Home

Printer Friendly Version

INGREDIENTS

1/3 cup sugar   

1 TB. all-purpose flour  

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

4 cups chopped peeled apples

1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed

Topping:

3 TB. Butter, melted
2 TB. Sugar
¼ tsp. Cinnamon
vanilla ice cream, optional

DIRECTIONS

  1. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon; add apples and toss to coat. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each pastry sheet into a 12-in. square. Cut each into four squares.  Or eight if you want smaller turnovers.
  2. Spoon 1/2 cup apple mixture into the center of each square; fold diagonally in half and press edges to seal.  If doing eight squares per sheet do about 2 TB of mixture. Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.  Or I like to use my spill mat sheets.
  3. In a small bowl, combine the butter, sugar and cinnamon; brush over pastry. Bake at 400° for 12-16 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with ice cream if desired. Yield: 8 or 16 servings. 
    If you want cherry use a can of cherry pie filling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment