Look My Food's On TV!

Monday, December 27, 2010

Rio Rancho Taco Meat

One of the freezer meals I prepared was taco meat. I love tacos and this meat was soooo good. I'll never make plain old beef with taco seasoning again. That's the basis of this dish but so much more. I got this recipe out of the book Don't Panic, Dinner's in the Freezer by Susie Martinez.




Rio Rancho Taco Meat

4 to 6 servings

Printer Friendly Version

1 medium onion, diced
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 cup mild salsa
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 1/2 t. brown sugar
1-4 oz can diced green chile's
1 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1/4 t. red pepper flakes
3/4 cup water

Cooking Day Instructions

Brown onion and ground beef until no longer pink. Drain any excess grease. Add salsa, taco seasoning, brown sugar, green chile's, garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Stir until well mixed. Add the water and simmer on low for 30-45 minutes until it has thickened. If it gets to thick add more water and adjust seasonings. Cool and freeze in meal size portions, using freezer bags.

Serving Day Instructions

Thaw meat in the fridge overnight or defrost in the microwave. I heated my in a skillet on the stove but you could probably microwave it. Serve with soft or hard tortilla shells and your favorite fixings. I love cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, and sour cream. Salsa is good too.

No comments:

Post a Comment