Look My Food's On TV!

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Whoopie Pies

My husband's birthday was a week ago today and when I asked him what kind of cake he wanted he said a giant Oreo cake. A few weeks before I had made homemade Oreos and he wanted me to make one big Oreo. I wasn't sure how to tackle that at the time and I told him about these whoopie pies I had seen on a food blog I read. I made him two huge pies and then the rest were smaller. He declared he liked them but that he prefers the Oreos. I myself favor these pies.

Whoopie Pies
as seen on Love and Olive Oil
makes two big pies and about 2 dozen small ones

Printer Friendly Version

For the Batter:

1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup milk (I used skim with great results)

Icing:

1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
1 1/3 cups Marshmallow Fluff (I get the marshmallow fluff from Aldis and use the whole container)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray baking sheet with butter spray. I like to use a silicone baking mat because my light color baking sheets burn everything. The baking mat prevents that and the cookies slide right off.

2. In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and vanilla until smooth. Add the egg, beat well. Add the cocoa and stir until combined.

3. Add the flour to the batter alternately with the milk, beating until smooth. Scrape down the sides and beat again briefly to combine the scraping to the batter.

4. Drop the batter onto the baking sheet using a 1/4 measuring cup or by a large cookie scoop. Leave plenty of room between each because they do spread.

5. Bake between 10-15 minutes until they are set and firm to the touch. Cool slightly remove from pan to wire rack or plate. Cool completely before frosting.

6. While the cookies bake make the frosting. In a mixing bowl beat together the butter, shortening, sugar, and marshmallow until well blended. Add vanilla and beat until smooth.

7. Try and put same size cookies together. Flip over half of the cookies. Spread or pipe frosting onto the flipped over cookies. Top each frosted cookie with an unfrosted cookie to make a sandwich. Place cookies in an airtight container and store in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment