Look My Food's On TV!

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Carnitas

I wish I would have taken a better picture because you can't see all the goodies in the pork, like cilantro, salsa, and green chilies. I think I have mentioned before loving Mexican food. I love it. I really like carnitas. This recipe was pretty good. I won't be making it a lot just because one taco is like 8 points. I can eat a lot of tacos. Next time I do make this though I would like to add the tequila it calls for. I didn't want to buy any so I just added more chicken broth. And next time I will make sure I actually buy cilantro instead of parsley so the cilantro can cook all day in the meat mixture. This was an easy meal that tasted great.



Slow Cooked Carnitas
from Taste of Home's April&May 2011 issue

Printer Friendly Version

12 four ounce servings of pork, 6 WW points per serving
Flour tortilla points vary

1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 pounds)
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced or minced garlic
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 1/2 cups minced fresh cilantro
1 cup salsa
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup tequila or additional chicken broth
1 7oz. can of chopped green chilies
flour tortillas
Optional toppings: fresh cilantro leaves, chopped avocado, tomato, onion, or cheese. I could eat cheese on everything.

Cut roast in half and place in slow cooker. Sprinkle with garlic, salt, and pepper. Add the onions, cilantro, salsa, broth, tequila, and chilies. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. Remove meat; cool slightly. Shred with two forks and return to the slow cooker; heat through. Spoon about 4 oz. of meat onto each tortilla and serve with toppings of choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment