Look My Food's On TV!

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Won Ton Spinach Lasagna

I'm not sure if I have mentioned it before but I love cookbooks. I have an addiction. I may need some professional help if I keep buying them. But I have gotten better. Most of the cookbooks I buy get sent to me in the mail. Instead of just paying for each one like I used to do I study each cookbook from front to back to see if it's something I really want to keep. The cookbooks that only have one or two recipes I like get sent back. Why keep a cookbook when I'm not excited about the recipes in it. I have gotten better and I don't just keep them all. Maybe I don't need therapy after all. :)

Anyway I received Southern Living All Time Favorites cookbook a couple of weeks ago and it is a keeper. When I found the won ton spinach lasagna recipe I knew that would be the first one I would try. And it's under the fresh and healthy section. Sounds good to me. I love lasagna and any other pasta type dish. I stay away from them because no matter how I try I can't seem to keep the points down. I would never have thought of using won tons. I was intrigued. The nutrition info had each serving at 272 calories and only 7.1 grams of fat. If I would have followed the recipe to a T the WW points would have been 7 per serving. Since I can't seem to follow a recipe down to the letter my version came out to 8 WW points per serving. Not bad I don't think. The best part is that this tastes like lasagna. I wouldn't say it's exactly like my normal lasagna because won ton wrappers are a lot thinner than lasagna noodles and you don't get that chewy noodle texture but overall this was excellent. I will definitely be making this again. Will really liked it too.

Won Ton Spinach Lasagna
adapted from Southern Living All Time Favorites Cookbook

Printer Friendly Version


8 servings, 8 WW points per serving

2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 container (24 oz) fat free cottage cheese
1 (10 oz) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
1 cup shredded carrots (I left the carrots out)
1/2 cup Italian shredded cheese
2 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 (26 oz) jar spaghetti sauce
36 won ton wrappers
cooking spray

In a bowl combine 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, 1 teaspoon basil, cottage cheese, spinach (make sure it is well drained), carrots if using, Italian cheese, egg whites, and garlic. Set aside.

Spray a 9X13 pan with cooking spray. Spread 1/2 cup of the sauce in the pan. Arrange twelve of the won ton wrappers over the sauce. They will overlap some. Top with one-third of the cottage cheese mixture. Spoon one-third of the spaghetti sauce over the cottage cheese mixture. Repeat layers twice, ending with the spaghetti sauce. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until bubbly and cheese melts. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Ricotta can be substituted for the cottage cheese. Make sure the won tons are covered in sauce so they don't get burnt while cooking.




Layer of won ton wrappers.

















Layer of cottage cheese mixture.

















Layer of spaghetti sauce.


















Lasagna after baking for 45 minutes. The cheese is all melted and it's just waiting to be eaten.

No comments:

Post a Comment